You must have Paint Shop Pro 7.0, 7.01, or 7.02 to install the patch. Paint Shop Pro 7 users do not need to install the Animation Shop 3.04 patch separately as it is included in the 7.04 patch.
Here is the complete list of changes:
- Preview windows are faster in several program dialog boxes.
- Paint Shop Pro 7 now processes OLE embedded documents from Paint Shop Pro versions 5 and 6. It is no longer necessary to leave these versions installed to edit embedded Paint Shop Pro 5 and 6 objects.
- Added an "Apply Smoothing" option to the WMF/Import tab of the File Format Preferences dialog box to improve the quality and accuracy of some imported vector data.
- When using the Gamma Correction adjustment dialog, proofing an image before the right preview window updated could apply incorrect modifications and fail to revise the command history. This issue is fixed for Gamma Correction and other affected commands.
- The program no longer calls all installed format filters when it cannot identify a file type. The change eliminates the "Cannot open PhotoCD Image" message some users encountered when using the browser.
- The application no longer stalls at start-up if resources (e.g., gradients) or their designated folders are unavailable.
- Irrelevant characters are discarded from plug-in category names to ensure proper sorting.
- All selected files obey the "Files of type" drop-list selection when using the File Open dialog box.
- Opening an image from outside of the application (e.g. using drag-and-drop) when Multiple Image Printing is active will no longer cause the wrong menubar to appear.
- When opening Portable Network Graphics (PNG) containing an alpha channel, the channel content is read as transparency. Previous versions treated a PNG alpha channel as a Paint Shop Pro alpha channel. PNG alpha channels will also display as transparent areas in the browser and Open dialog box thumbnail previews as a result of this change.
- ASCII versions of PPM/PGM/PBM containing unusual white space characters can be read more reliably.
- Resolved issues with reading multi-page or poorly compressed LZW TIFFs.
- Increased the supported width limit on uncompressed TIFFs to 32,768 pixels.
- Fixed several other minor issues with text size, formatting, object placement, bitmap palettes, multi-byte character sets, and single or no pixel lines in metafiles.
- Multiple embedded bitmaps can now be read from a metafile.
Corrected an issue where some CGM files displayed as a blank image because bad color values for lines, edges, and fills (brushes) displayed in the default background color (white). The program now assigns the default foreground color (black) to this content in accordance with the file format specification.
- Reduced JPEG compression for thumbnails to improve display quality.
- Added support for bitmaps with negative heights and fixed a problem reading OS/2 version 2.x bitmaps.
PSP is a wonderful alternative to Photoshop that rivals it in terms of power. If you are unable to afford the Adobe product then it is strongly suggested that you take a look at PSP!